Rules and Regulations
Applications submission for the Design Challenge Asia is now open till Oct. 5th (Mon) 11:59pm (GMT+8). Online registration and entry submission are required.
- Design entry: Download and fill in the“DCAsia Application Form”, submit both in Word and PDF formats, together with the supplementary materials to email@example.com.
- Participants may submit supplementary materials, such as images, videos or other media materials to illustrate the design. Take videos for example: videos are advised not to exceed 3 minutes, in avi/mov/mpg formats. The content includes but not limited to team introduction, design concept, issue identified, and design difficulties.
Final presentation: Preferable presentation format is Powerpoint (Aspect ratio TBA). Pitch will present at a maximum of 7 minutes, followed by a 5-minute Q&A. Pitch language limited to English only. If finalists have any presentation needs, please contact the organizer for advanced preparation.
Judges and Judging Criteria.
(a) Judging panel
The Design Challenge Asia will be judged by experts in related fields regarding each year’s topic. Judges will be announced on this website.
Depending on the number of entries in the primary, 6 to 8 teams will be selected into the final. Finalists will be announced on this website on October 15 and informed via email. Non-selected participants will not be notified.
(c) Judging criteria align with those announced by the Stanford Center on Longevity Design Challenge. Criteria are expected to include:
Will the design improve long life outcomes?
Has this idea been seen before? Is there something similar to it on the market?
Will the design work? Can it be produced at scale?
Teams must identify their target population for the design. Would the cost of the design at scale make it a viable product for that population?
Alignment of the design to the topic – A separate score will be added as a weight to the overall score.
For example, if a design were to score 90% on the judging criteria above but only 50% on alignment, the overall score would be 45% (.90 X .50).
(a) Awards and Prizes
The Design Challenge Asia will award three winning teams with a maximum travel stipend of USD1,500 (TWD45,000) to Stanford in Spring 2021 to participate in the worldwide Challenge. (This does not guarantee qualifying as finalists in Stanford Center on Longevity Design Challenge. However, winning teams may participate in related activities). Travel stipend is limited to airfare and accommodation expenses. Travel arrangements can be made by the selected teams or with the assistance of the organizer.
- Silver Linings Global, the Organizer of the Challenge, reserves the right to promote and market the participating design projects.
- The Organizer will hold an award ceremony to recognize the winning teams and their works.
- On a case-based arrangement, the Organizer will pair winning teams with venture capitals, industry businesses, and service providers to facilitate follow-up development of the products or services.
- The Organizer will highlight winning projects and recommend them for both domestic and foreign exhibitions.
Terms and Disclaimers.
About the Organizer：
- The organizer of Design Challenge Asia (Silver Linings Global) reserves the right to adjust the application and submission timeline based on the actual situation.
- The organizer reserves the right to amend the content and conditions stated in the Rules and Regulations without prior notice and at its sole discretion.
- The organizer team and judging panel are not allowed to take part in the Challenge.
About the Design Entry ：
- Entry materials must be submitted before the indicated deadline and in the designated submission method. For incomplete entry materials or those that fail to meet entry requirements, the organizer reserves the right to decline the application without any prior notice or return procedure.
- Entry materials will be handled and collected by the organizer with full confidentiality and will not be returned. Please keep your own copy before submission.
- To ensure fairness of the Challenge, please do not include any unrelated signatures or marks in the entry materials (documents, posters, powerpoints, and videos), except for the title of the design work. Any entry that violates this rule will be disqualified.
- Upon receiving the entry materials, the Challenge administrators will notify the team representative within two days via email; should the team have any questions, please contact Ms. Chen at Silver Linings Global: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All entries must be the entrant’s original work, must NOT be available on the market, and must NOT be involved in plagiarism or infringement of others’ intellectual property. In the circumstance where concrete evidence is found or exposed that an entrant’s work is in violation of the regulations of the award’s reviewing process, or is involved in plagiarism, infringement of others’ intellectual property, or that the entrant is not the actual creator of their work or that the work is already available on the market, the Organizer will hold a panel review, and if necessary, revoke the winner’s title, cash prize, and certificate. Should the aforementioned incident cause any damages (including legal damage of intellectual property infringement) to a third party, the responsibility lies solely with the entrant, who should bear the indemnity liability and should raise no objection.
- The Organizer should have the permanent right to use the entries (including design photos and descriptions) for photography, exhibition, or promotional purposes.
- For entries qualified for the finals, entrants shall agree that the Organizer may collect the works and documents of the Challenge for future exhibition and publication purposes.
About the Entrants ：
- The copyright of the completed design work belongs to the entire team. To avoid any future disputes, team members should agree upon themselves, preferable in written contracts, regarding the ownership of the design work, including copyright trading, attribution of efforts, and rights and obligations between team members (commissioning or authorization of rights). The Organizer is not involved in this matter.
- Before submission, please double-check and verify all the entry materials. If the entry materials fail to adhere to the Instruction guidelines, are incomplete, or involve fraud or infringement, the Organizer reserves the right to exclude the entry and the entrant shall raise no objection.
- Entrants shall carefully study and review the Challenge Instructions to fully understand all the requirements and guidelines and accept all Terms & Disclaimers.
- Be sure to adhere to the qualifications of entrants and design entry. Failure to do so will be considered non-eligible.
- Entrants are solely responsible for any costs incurred in the transportation of their entry, and for the transportation and related costs for the final round presentation.
- Entrants are solely responsible for ensuring the protection measures during the transportation of their entry. If any damage occurs to the design works to the extent that they fail to adhere to the Challenge Instructions, the Organizer does not bear any liability.
- All entrants agree that the Organizer may collect, handle and use the personal information of entrants for promotional and administrative purposes related to the Challenge, and consent to Personal Data Collection Agreement, which shows in the application form.
- All entrants agree to participate in the Challenge related activities and adhere to the Challenge Instructions regarding award prizes and promotions.
- Once an entry form is submitted, it implies full understanding and agreement of the entrant to all the Terms & Disclaimers, the official Design Challenge Asia Instructions as stipulated, and those prevailing throughout the Challenge.
- All reasonable measures to ensure the protection of intellectual property associated with the Challenge will be taken by the Organizer. But Protection of such rights is ultimately the responsibility of each entrant. Entrants are recommended to apply for a patent or a copyright before prototyping. If your intellectual property is infringed upon, the Organizer is not liable to any damage and does not bear any legal responsibility.
- Requests, lobbies, threats, bribes or other actions interfering the judging panel and its review process are not allowed.
- Competition results rest on the final decision of the judging panel. Entrants shall raise no objection, unless entrants can provide concrete evidence that a specific design work violates any regulations stipulated by the Challenge.
- In condition of not violating the copyright, entrants should cooperate actively with the Organizer or co-organizer in non-profit activities.
About All Winning Teams of the Design Challenge Asia：
- For those who wish to take part in the 2020-2021 Stanford Center on Longevity Design Challenge taking place in Stanford, CA, please submit the required entry materials to the U.S. Organizer. While Silver Linings Global, the Organizer of Design Challenge Asia, does not guarantee that entry submission will certainly enter the final list.
- By attending the Challenge, entrants agree that the design works, including photos and video material, and your portrait may be used by the Organizer to further promote the Design Challenge Asia, and that you are willing to cooperate with media promotion activities. If deemed appropriate, the Organizer may use the physical design work, as well as quotes and photos, for exhibition, promotion, and publication purposes.
- Teams should actively participate in related promotion, advertisement, and follow-up support activities and should not decline for no justifiable reasons.
- For participating teams, the team representative is the default recipient of the award prize. Team members should decide upon themselves how to divide and allocate the prize. The prize is tax-deductible to the full extent of Taiwan’s tax regulations.
- The winning prizes offered by the Design Challenge Asia are limited to airfare and accommodation expenses to the Stanford Center on Longevity Design Challenge the next spring. If an act of God results in the cancellation of the Global Challenge, the Organizer will announce the alternative method of receiving the prizes.